Is There Sugar in Syrup? Then Yes.

There are so many reasons I think Buddy the Elf and I could be friends.  For starters, he loves to smile.   Me too.  Also, he likes to sing even though he has a terrible voice.  Sounds familiar.  But mostly, I like him for his love of maple syrup.  So honest, so sincere and so damn honorable.

Maple syrup is the only kind of syrup in my eyes.  Sure, Aunt Jemima makes her own special brand, but the way I see it, there are two kinds of people in this world: maple syrup aficiandos and then there are just people with poor tastebuds.  It’s as clear a distinction as dog people and cat people, dog clearly being the better, cuter, more cuddly choice here.

Although maple syrup is one of the sweetest treats in your kitchen, I bet you don’t use it for much.  Pancakes and waffles, so good but how often are you really making them?  It’s time to start getting more from your syrup.  You owe it to yourself, and I know just the person to help you with this sticky situation.  Me, of course!

Nutmeg-Maple Cream Pie
Inspired by Smitten Kitchen
Adapted from the New York Times

Ingredients
3/4 cup maple syrup
2 1/4 cups heavy cream
4 egg yolks
1 whole egg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 9-inch pie crust

Directions
First, par bake the pie crust. Preheat oven to 350°F.  Poke holes in the pie crust with a fork so that it doesn’t puff during bake.  Then place in the oven for approximately 20 minutes or until golden brown.  If shell puffs during baking, press it down with back of spoon. Cool on wire rack. Lower temperature to 300 degrees.

Then, prepare the filling. In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, reduce maple syrup by a quarter.  This should take approximately 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in cream and bring to a simmer and then remove from heat.

In a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks and egg.  Then temper the mixture to make sure the eggs don’t scramble from the hot cream mixture.  Tempering is done by gradually increasing the temperature of one recipe component by adding another.  To temper this mixture, add a touch of the hot cream to the egg mixture, while whisking continuously.  Once this is completely incorporated, slowly drizzle in the rest of the hot cream mixture while whisking.  Again, you must whisk constantly to avoid the eggs cooking! Strain mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a cup or bowl with pouring spout. Stir in salt, nutmeg and vanilla.

Pour filling into crust and transfer to a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until pie is firm to touch but jiggles slightly when moved, about 1 hour. Let cool to room temperature before serving.

Click here to see the original recipe by Smitten Kitchen
http://smittenkitchen.com/2007/11/nutmeg-maple-cream-pie/

  1. As a Newbie, I am constantly browsing online for articles that can help me. Thank you

  2. Pingback: A Side that Won’t Hurt Your Sides | Bite Sized Banter

  3. Pingback: Yolo Health » The Universal Healthy Side Dish

Leave a Reply

WordPress.com Logo

Twitter picture

Facebook photo