Tag Archives: Date Spot

Bohemian Rhapsody

I’m a sucker for an exclusive restaurant.  Hide the entrance and I am intrigued, but hide the phone number and I’m all yours.   Put down your psych book from freshman year…there are no deep-seated issues here to explore.  I just like to have a little fun with my food.  And boy is there a ton of fun to be found at Bohemian.  Well, maybe not fun, but certainly good food.

This exclusive restaurant, located in the heart of Noho, is for members only.  A members only restaurant, kind of pretentious right? Well, you can’t judge a book by its cover, which is true on so many levels for Bohemian.  The entrance is behind a butcher shop just before the corner of I might be lost and I’m not sure I am in the right place.  Once you make it past the entrance, which is a lot less confusing than you would think, you feel like you have walked into someone’s home, which is half true.  Bohemian is located in a loft that was formerly owned by Andy Warhol.

The members’ only policy is somewhat paradoxical; you become a member by making a reservation.  You can make a reservation by getting the phone number from a member, or by emailing the food savvy folks at Bohemian (ny-info@playearth.jp). Introduce yourself in the email and tell them why you want to dine there; don’t forget to put “Visit Enquiry” in the subject.   I actually know someone who this worked for so I can attest to the fact that it’s not a trick to embarrass you.  It’s not easy to get the reservation, but we all know the power of playing hard to get.

So the entrance that alluded to a smoke show was without, but did the food make up for it? You bet it did.  I started with an order of the cucumbers and jelly.   It sounds bizarre, but it was delicious.  The jelly, which was smoky yet light, added an unexpected depth to the common cucumber.

The wagyu beef sashimi was so tender and flavorful; it’s almost hard to imagine ordering cooked beef ever again, almost.  The miso cod was exactly what you expect miso cod to be.  However, it was ordered sans uni gratin so I can’t really pass judgment as the dish was not how the chef intended it to be.  The mushroom salad was enjoyable but totally forgettable, unlike the sweet potatoes.  They were crispy on the outside yet so delicate; what an anomaly Bohemian proved to be.

We all know dinner doesn’t end until the last spoonful of dessert is gone and the cocktails have run dry.  So, dessert was had and cocktails were enjoyed.  Why chose one dessert when you can have a taste of each? Spoken like a true Foodie.  I ordered the assortment of desserts, which included the green tea panna cotta, café latte flan, and sweet potato crème brulee.  The crème brulee was the star of the dessert tray.

I would be remiss not to mention the bartender, Toku, and his innate ability to recommend cocktails.  He suggested a slippery jaguar silk, which was a combination of whisky, among other things I can’t recall.  But, what I can’t forget was the finishing touch to this magnificent concoction: a dusting of toasted almond, which was torched and then shaved over the cocktail.

If I could pick one word to describe Bohemian it would be awesome.  Go to Bohemian for awesome food and an awesome atmosphere, that is if you can get your hands on the awesome phone number.

Bohemian
57 Great Jones Street
New York, NY

Speakeasy and Carry a Big Fork

Do you ever catch yourself daydreaming?  I mean really daydreaming…like caught in a stare, out to lunch, off in lala land.  Because I have literally been daydreaming about this big, warm gooey plate of risotto for a month now.  Yes, that’s right, a whole month.  This creamy creation is a plate of pure, unadulterated love.   And you can have your very own plate of this oooey gooey goodness at Hudson Clearwater.

Hudson Clearwater opened a few, short months ago in the West Village.  It’s one of those great, hidden gems…and I mean literally hidden.  The entrance to this speakeasy style restaurant is tucked away behind a small, green garden door.  If you don’t know what you are looking for, there’s a good chance you will miss it.  But once you finally arrive, you know you are in for a real treat.  After you make your way through the courtyard, you are greeted by an open kitchen and sunken dining room.  A restaurant with an open kitchen is like a golden ticket from Willy Wonka to tour the factory…and who doesn’t want to be Charlie Bucket for a night?

Unfortunately, I was seated nowhere near the kitchen.  We were seated downstairs in a small room that sort of felt like an unfinished basementNeedless to say, I would have preferred to sit in the dining room.  I forgot all about where we were seated when I got the menu…which I had carefully perused before dinner.  The second that menu hit the table I knew exactly what I wanted to order. The Squash Risotto with seasonal vegetables, sunchoke chips, and pomegranate seeds had my name all over it.  So picture this: creamy risotto filled with morsels of butternut squash so tender they melt in your mouth, crispy Brussels sprout leaves that lived on the equator of caramelized and almost burnt and vibrant pomegranate seeds that were like little bursts of happiness.

I would tell you about the arugula salad I had to start, but it was snooze-fest; amateur move on my part, I know!  One the bright side of boring, it wasn’t bad.  So, go to Hudson Clearwater, try the risotto, and order a different appetizer!

447 Hudson Street
New York, NY 10014
212.989.3255